ZX Spectrum Adventure Game Template
A downloadable asset pack
Made using GameMaker Studio, this is the prototype source code for a ZX Spectrum style flip-screen adventure. Example graphics are included, feel free to use or change them however you'd like.
This template contains the base code and art I used to create my game Higgy: A Speccy-ish Adventure
You will need:
- GameMaker: Studio v1.4 or v2
- A working knowledge of GameMaker Language (GML). This is NOT a drag and drop project.
The project file includes the following features:
- Accurate ZX Spectrum resolution
- Accurate ZX Spectrum colour palette
- Flip screen (no scrolling)
- Working location name
- Working health bar
- Working coin meter
- Other characters to talk to/give items to
- Puzzles (such as the unlockable chest)
- Things that hurt the player character
- Game over state
- NO attribute clash (you'd have to figure it out via a shader I think)
You'll have to make a title screen and an end game sequence for yourself.
Changes in v1.2:
- Fixed - bug which would prevent the player from walking up a step if stood still next to it.
- Added - clouds. You can stand on them, but you'll sink through.
- Added - Art. No longer copyright infringing. All Dizzy art replaced with my own characters. You can use them however you like.
- Added - Gamepad controls. Also changed keyboard controls to accurately mirror the Dizzy games on ZX Spectrum.
- Added - New "enemy". Fire! Don't get burned.
- Added - Jump sprite.
See full change notes in the provided readme.txt file
All code is by me. I've created sound effects have been created using bfxr. You are free to use the source code for this project for whatever you wish, all I ask is if you create anything - show me. I'd love to see it.
Also, if you need to ask me any questions about my crazy code, you can find me on Twitter - @MrTom
Click download now to get access to the following files:
Leave a comment
Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.